Monday, January 28, 2013

Healing Time



One thing I've noticed as I have gotten older is that my body takes longer to heal than it used to.  This seems to be true for just about everything:  cuts and scratches, bumps and bruises, colds and the flu.  I'm dealing with the latter right now and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight after three full days of aching misery.

The facts are that as our bodies age, our cells take longer to regenerate.  Also, the immune system in an older person isn't as strong as the one found in younger people.  I recently read that the flu shot and other immunizations don't work as well in older bodies, like mine.  So it's not just a figment of my imagination that I am sick longer (when I come down with something) than I have been in the past.

This isn't the best news I could hear right now but it does make sense.  As our bodies change, we need to change how we care for ourselves.  I've never given much thought to preventing illness but after this past weekend in bed, I believe I will be motivated enough to make more of an attempt to stay healthy once I get back on my feet. 

What is one thing you do to keep yourself feeling well and avoid getting sick?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you are still in the healing process. I got "bit by a bug" as well, but as my lymph nodes around my neck are swollen and my fever kicked in...I am reminded that my body is being my caretaker and destroying the harmful microbes that are trying to take me down! I think I would have been much worse, had I not been healthier to start.

    One of the things that I do is drink green juices (raw veggies like spinach, kale, celery, cucumber, wheat grass and ginger) a few times a week. I also have been drinking warm water with fresh lemon and junks of fresh ginger first thing in the morning before any coffee or tea. Drinking loads of water to keep me hydrated is another one of my "usuals" and taking 20 minutes to meditate and focus on my breathing. As the song goes..."these are a few of my favorite things!".

    Feel better Laurie!!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think. Your voice and story are important to this space.